Letter From the Pastor
As we move forward together in mission and ministry, I am amazed at the conversations that I have been a part of. As I have mentioned on several occasions, the Session has engaged in a deliberate process of discernment for us to see how we can best minister to our community. We recently asked the Presbytery to help us in this endeavor, as our denomination has a program that can help assess congregations and their surrounding communities. I believe this kind of assessment will help us in reaching out to our neighbors.
A suggestion was made that we engage in a time of intentional prayer as a church. I know that we all pray that God help us understand how we might best be faithful. But we would like to request that you intentionally add Covenant into your prayers, specifically in asking how we might follow where God leads us. To help with this, a group is committing to gathering at the church on Wednesdays to pray together. Beginning on Wednesday October 10, members can gather together in the Parlor to pray for God’s wisdom for our church.
I hope that you will be able to join us, either at the church or in your homes. We know that all that we are is in God’s hands. And we can rest assured that God is leading us into exciting paths together.
Thanks for your support. And thanks be to God.
Session Update and Financials
September Session Update
- Had a Triennial visit with Mike Turner from Foothills Presbytery’s Committee on Ministry. The time was spent discussing the work that is happening at Covenant, as well as ways in which the Presbytery might be of support for us. It was a positive time together.
- Approved allowing First Presbyterian, Spartanburg to borrow our church bus when needed
- Approved a congregational meeting for October 7 during worship to elect Officers for the Class of 2021
Financial Update as of August 31, 2018
October Usher Duty
- October 7: Bob McMichael, Carole Sanders, and Jim Bleiler
- October 14: Russ Sanders and Nancy Biggerstaff
- October 21: Callaway Alford, Henry Polston, and Terry Terawaki
- October 28: Cynthia Bridges and Jim Fraley
- Covenant Presbyterian Church
- Shelly Akers
- Alexis Bezilla (friend of the Bleilers)
- Cora Mae Chambers
- Kathryn Clark
- David and Catherine Dedmon
- June Garren (Cathy Baldwin’s Mom)
- Taylor Goode (M) (Bleilers’ Son)
- Turner Hammett (Gena Hammett’s Son)
- Mary Harris
- Jay Jeter
- Sara McKinney
- Thad Strickland
- Charles and Miriam Turner
- Remember our shut-ins
- Families who have lost loved ones
- Our President and officials in Washington
- World Peace
(M) Indicated Military
- On Wednesday October 10, we will have a special program for our Food and Fellowship. Connie Cleveland-Nolan is a champion dog trainer, competing in competitions all over the world. She will be here with a few of her dogs and sharing her testimony with us. Her message is very inspiring and enjoyable for all age groups. Invite friends and neighbors for this time together. https://www.dogtrainersworkshop.com
- Covenant’s Small Group will meet Sunday, October 14th at the
home of Anne and Paul McChesney, 314 Holly Drive. All are
welcome to join us for this time of food, fellowship, and thoughtful
- The Keenagers will meet on Tuesday October 16 for a day of leaf
peeping, apple buying, lunch, and shopping. Times will be
confirmed in the coming days, but mark your calendars for a fun-
filled day with your church friends. All are invited to attend.
October 2018 Calendar